Najib’s Bid To Adduce New Evidence Dismissed, To know Fate tomorrow

0
174
Najib Razak

The Court of Appeal dismissed an application by former prime minister Najib Razak to adduce further oral evidence in his appeal against his conviction in the SRC International trial.

The Court of Appeal bench led by Justice Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil denied Najib’s application and said that there “were no exceptional circumstances” which merited adducing the new evidence, The Edge reported.

The judge also said that the decision on whether or not to set aside Najib’s conviction and 12-year jail term and RM210 million fine for the SRC offences will go on as planned on Wednesday (08 Dec).

In a unanimous decision by Abdul Karim, Justices Zanah Mehat and Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera, the bench surmised that Najib’s bid to adduce the evidence by calling Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Azam Baki and former SRC investigating officer Rosli Hussein to be examined was not necessary as it did not fulfil the criteria as stated in Section 61 of the Courts of Judicature Act 1964.

Najib on Wednesday (01 Dec), applied for the Court of Appeal to allow and to direct for viva voce evidence to be taken from Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Azam Baki, or essentially for the anti-corruption chief to be asked to give oral evidence about the SRC case.

Azam has not testified, while Rosli previously testified as a witness.

Facebook Comments