Putrajaya: Former premier Najib Razak has asked the Court of Appeal to allow new evidence to be included in his appeal against his conviction for allegedly misappropriating RM42 million from former 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) subsidiary SRC International Sdn Bhd.
According to Malay Mail, Najibâs application was filed yesterday, or just seven days before the Court of Appeal was scheduled to decide his appeal on December 8.
Based on court documents sighted by Malay Mail, Najib is applying for the Court of Appeal to allow and to direct for viva voce evidence to be taken from Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Azam Baki, or essentially for the anti-corruption chief to be asked to give oral evidence about the SRC case.
Najib is also applying for further oral evidence to be taken from MACC investigating officer Rosli Hussein in the SRC case.
Azam has not testified, while Rosli previously testified as a witness in the SRC case.
In an affidavit filed in support of his application, Najib said the viva voce evidence should be taken from the two MACC officers and to be included in his appeal in the SRC case, adding that he believed that their additional evidence would be necessary in the interest of justice.
In his affidavit, Najib also commented on the timing of his application to ask for new evidence to be added to the SRC appeal, claiming that he had filed it without delay as soon as he could.
âI profusely apologise to this honourable court for any inconvenience occasioned, and I seek for this application to be heard at the earliest date possible, in any case before this court rendering any judgment, to prevent any delay towards the judicial process in the appeals,â he said in the affidavit.
The judiciary had on 23 November announced that the Court of Appeal would deliver its decision on Najibâs SRC appeal on 08 December. – New Malaysia Herald